Already within this year(month) I have learned a lot about myself, and what I need to improve. In order for you all to get a better understanding of my life and technological skills, I have provided a list:
1) I have a hand me down cell phone from the 90's, with no camera and a very large speaker.
2) I love music and many kinds of it, though I have always recruited people to download songs and upload them to my Ipod(which I can't use very well).
3) My 10 year old cousin shows me how to use things on my laptop.
4) The only computer oriented class I have taken was a digital photography class involving Photoshop... oh yeah and of course, Keyboarding hah.
Based on this list you can see that I struggle a lot with technology. I will never forget when my dad first bought a computer and he said: "Hun, don't touch anything unless we show you exactly what to do". Apparently that childlike mentality has stuck with me because instead of being excited about new devices and fooling with them, I am deathly afraid I will mess them up some how. I am all about changing for the better, and I am up for the challenge. After talking with you all in class about things we want in the classroom, I learned about things that I didn't even know existed (Smartboard).
I have recorded a couple of songs in the past few years, and I went from doing it my self on the basic record device on Microsoft, to using my friends crazy computer sound system that can do basically anything and everything professional musicians do. I realize that by expanding my knowledge of uses of technology I will be become a better citizen in today's society..... especially sense my charm and good-looks are definitely not enough hah.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
you're ahead of me...I don't even know how to use photoshop!
I don't think you have anything to be nervous about. and if you have any questions, just find a little kid to help you!
Shannon-
Keep it real with the old school cell phone! I often contemplate going back even further, back to the days of the house phone w/ answering machine. Simplicity is the way to go!
Sean
I have a similar cell phone. Also, sadly, I have an answering machine at home. At least it's digital (no tape).
Yea, I had the same thought about the Smartboard, i.e., '???'
hell, if Allison R. and Rebekah want smartboards, can I have photon torpedoes and a hover car?
This is kind of a perfect situation, Shannon, because if this class works the way we hope it will, you won't be at a significant disadvantage because you're not a "techie," and you'll have many opportunities to think expansively about your teaching goals.
Katie's comment strikes me as being very wise, Shannon. There's nothing that can cement a relationship with a student as when they can help you with meeting a genuine need. So often, whatever kids bring to school (in terms of the knowledge, skills, etc.) is seen as irrelevant. Maybe your students will have a different experience, eh?
I want a SmartBoard, that is true. But I also want a photon torpedo. I might be a little nervous about the hover car though. I bet it would be tough to parallel park.
(-8
Things are fun to play with but yeah, I worry a lot about breaking stuff too.
Knowing how to use technology can definitely make life easier in many ways. However, I've found many situations in which the old-fashioned way can be just as fast and efficient...for example, it takes me 2+ hours to create a Jeopardy game on PowerPoint with sound effects and graphics, etc. But it takes maybe half an hour to create one on my white board--and I feel that the experience for the kids is the same. Basically what I've learned in two years of teaching is this: Use technology when it'll make your workload quicker and easier, never just for the sake of using technology...or because you think someone will be impressed.
I also agree with Jeff--don't be afraid to utilize your class techie kids. They are dying to show you what they know!
Post a Comment