Monday, January 19, 2009

So the honeymoon phase is over haha. Last week I got super angry at one of the classes that I teach because they could not be quiet. I told them that they obviously had no respect for me so I might as well just leave because they don't need or want my help. Then they all started complaining about how they want to be in college and I told them that they would never make it in college if they could not be quiet for 5 minutes. Many of them took that very offensively and I realized I shouldn't have said that, but I continued to explain to them that college classes are based upon respect. Students respect the prof.s and the prof.s respect the students. I also told them that even in college classes with 200 students, you can hear a pin drop.

So I went a little overboard I admit haha. I apologized to them and told them that they will all make it to college I was just upset because I put so much effort into grading their papers and helping them, but they won't even listen to me for 5 minutes. The next day they were great hah. Except for the end of the hour when I was presented with a huge dilemma.... let me know what you think....

So half of the class was a "free day" for them to organize their binders and help each other. One of the girls was organized so she asked if she could go to another class to finish a test. I said yes, and she left her backpack on my desk. The other kids were walking around all hour and doing things. When the student who left came back to class there were only 2 minutes to spare, and she noticed that her ipod had been stolen out of her backpack. I had seen it before hand, so I knew she did not just misplace it. I made an announcement to the class and asked whoever took it as a joke to give it back, no one said anything. Then I was just mad.... I told them that they would not be leaving the room until someone gave it back, and I assured them that I wouldn't tell the principal or authorities. The bell rang (this is last hour), and ppl started to complain, I said that it didn't matter and they could leave when the ipod was returned. On the other hand my mentor didn't care so she opened the door 30 seconds after the bell and told me we couldn't do anything.

I was upset because she didn't even try to help the girl and she completely ripped any authority that I had away right in front of the class. I know that we couldn't hold the kids too long, but she didn't even try. I am not sure what to do if this ever happens again because the kids aren't even supposed to have ipods...... what do you think?

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Wow!
That situation is one where I am guessing there is no completely correct answer other than "don't let the kids leave their things around." Which is silly since it happens all the time.

It is frustrating that your mentor didn't back you up. Perhaps he or she had other reasons for it - perhaps there is some sort of policy about holding students late that administrators get freaked out about.

I wouldn't worry at all about what you said to the students about being quiet. You were totally correct about that one. They really *do* need to learn the skill or at least show that they have the desire in order for them to do well in life.

At least you got their attention! My classes tend not to pay attention to me until my mentor signals them. Sigh.