Monday, September 29, 2008

review games

So i just read a great edublog on review games involving technology (http://21csyers.blogspot.com/). The blogger explains three game show-esq games she plays with the class to keep all of the students involved. I recently played around the world with my class, which they enjoyed, though since not every student is involved at all times some loss interest fast. She explains these powerpoint trivia games in detail that force all students to be active participants. Another thing that I found very interesting was that at the end of the year for review she has the students make their own game. That way they are using the technology themselves as well as having fun and reviewing for the exam! I feel this would be very useful for all of us... check it out.

4 comments:

Bridget said...

your post prompted me to read this blog. this lady is a genius! after the powerpoint efficacy presentation last friday, i have been wondering about this feature's credibility. i came to the conclusion that using PPT is a very effective tool every once in a while when you are presenting information or assessing students in a new and innovative way. this blog makes the process extremely easy for a teacher. not only by successfully getting all students involved, the end of the year game created by the kids is a fantastic idea because it is a realistic exercise. having the students make their own game works because the activity requires technological knowledge and also because the students are working with a familiar medium. they have been using these interactive games all year and know what they want to get out of the assignment. just great.

Jeff Stanzler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff Stanzler said...

Shannon, I'm really glad that you pointed this out. Had you not mentioned this (and had Bridget not responded so enthusiastically) I wouldn't have checked out Dan Myers blog where he made a wonderful post that you should check out.
It is simply a pair of license plate photos with a prompt to his readers "what would you do?" with these. The responses are amazing!!
(I put the wrong URL in my previous response)

Meghan said...

As a student, I loved playing games for review. As a teacher, I can't wait to use it. I'll have to look up that edublog to learn how to do the PowerPoint thing.